Apple announced that the new iPhone5 will be available September 21, although customers can pre-order it beginning Friday, September 14. Much of what the rumor mill speculated about this latest phone turned out to be true. The top 5 features of the new iPhone5 are:
- It is taller, allowing room for a 5th row of icons, and that makes reading a book, watching a movie and browsing the web easier.
- It is thinner and lighter. Made entirely of glass and aluminum, the iPhone5 is 18% thinner and 20% lighter then the iPhone4S.
- It comes with a better camera, 8 megapixel (3264×2448), with a lens that is the same as the 4S, but thinner.
- The new faster chip inside the iPhone5 will let users open e-mail, load music and interact with other applications more quickly.
- It comes with the capability to connect to the fastest new wireless data networks, both in the U.S. and overseas.
The new iPhone 5 comes in either white and silver or black and slate. It will be available in the US for a suggested retail price of $199 for the 16GB model, $299 for the 32GB model and $399 for the 64GB model.
A few things to keep in mind…
- The Apple iPhone5 will run iOS 6. This operating system will be available on Wednesday, September 19 as a free software update.
- The iPhone 5 gets a new connector called Lightning. That means the new phone won’t be compatible with old accessories. Apple will sell an adapter to work with older accessories.
In addition to all the excitement surrounding the unveiling of the new phone, Apple also announced:
- The new iPod Touch will come with the same high resolution display as the new iPhone and will also support Siri.
- iTunes software for the Mac and PC is getting a dramatic new look It will be available as a free download in October.
- The white earbuds that ship with all of Apple’s portable devices will now be called “earpods”. They are tube-shaped and will better fit the shape of the ear. They’ll go on sale as a stand-alone accessory, but will be included free with new devices starting in October.
For this and any of your Apple Macintosh needs, please call us at Technology Revealed 203.874.1468 or firstname.lastname@example.org.